Short Story 18: The Journal of a Dictionary

Short Story 18: The Journal of a Dictionary

.

In the corner of the school library’s bookshelf, I (a Malay dictionary) sat in solitude, waiting for small hands to flip through my pages. I was once the primary source of knowledge for students, but as technology advanced, they now preferred searching for word meanings on their smartphones. I started to feel forgotten and unneeded.  


One day, a student named Ammar entered the library. His face looked somber as he held me, turning my pages with deep focus. I could feel his fingers searching for something important. “I must study hard. I want to make my late father proud,” he whispered softly.  


From that day on, Ammar used me regularly. Every time he looked up a word, I felt valued. I learned that his father had passed away a few months ago, and since then, he had been striving to become a top student to bring pride to his mother.  


One evening, a strong storm hit the school. Rain poured through an open window, drenching the bookshelf where I sat. Other books had already fallen to the floor. I feared for my fate, but before long, I saw Ammar rushing in, completely soaked, to rescue me from being ruined.  


Ammar carefully dried me with great affection. At that moment, I realized I was more than just a dictionary. I was his companion in his journey. I had helped Ammar reach for his dreams, and though I was just a book, I knew I had lived a meaningful life.

.

Title: The Journal of a Dictionary

Summary: An old dictionary helps Ammar achieve his dreams and express love, despite facing sorrow and challenges.  

Lesson: Knowledge and effort lead to success and meaningful memories.

Writer: Siti Isah Ithnin




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Kenapa Telinga Gajah Besar?

6. Kenapa Belakang Unta Berbonggol?

2. Kenapa Leher Zirafah Panjang