Short Story 20: The Sorrow of a School Badge
Short Story 20: The Sorrow of a School Badge
.
In the school sewing room, a blue and golden-yellow school badge lay quietly among piles of uniform fabric. I was proud to symbolize the school, a beacon of learning and achievement. Yet, not everyone who wore me felt the same pride.
One day, a student named Iman came to collect a new uniform. I was stitched close to the heart of her shirt—a spot of great significance. Though she smiled faintly, I could sense sadness in her eyes.
As the school days passed, I overheard whispers about Iman. "She’s the new kid, so shy," said some classmates. Worse, they began teasing her for her soft voice and reserved nature. It broke my heart to see Iman try to fade into the background.
Day by day, I noticed her folding her uniform to hide me. But one morning, her teacher, Mrs. Hawa, assigned a class essay on the theme, "My Hopes." Iman, gathering all her courage, read her heartfelt piece aloud: "I hope I can be proud of wearing this badge, just like everyone else."
The classroom fell silent, struck by her words. From that day forward, her classmates treated her with kindness. Slowly, she unfolded her uniform, and I could once again shine proudly.
Though I’m just a small badge, I realized I hold the dreams and struggles of every student, especially those who are finding their way in this vast world.
.
Title: The Sorrow of a School Badge
Summary: The story follows a shy student, Iman, who learns to appreciate her school badge with newfound confidence.
Lesson: Big or small, everyone holds their own worth.
Writer: Siti Isah Ithnin



Comments
Post a Comment