Short Story 34: I Am a Certificate of Appreciation

Short Story 34: I Am a Certificate of Appreciation

.

My name is Certificate of Appreciation. I’m printed on fine cream-colored paper, framed in gold, with the school’s crest proudly displayed at the top. In bold letters, I read: “Outstanding Achievement Award – Presented to Adeep for exceptional perseverance in academics and character.”


I was created for the school’s annual awards ceremony, eagerly waiting to be presented to someone truly deserving. On that special day, amid cheers in the school hall, I was handed to a thin boy with glasses—Adeep.


Adeep wasn’t the most popular student, but he was always kind and helpful. Even though his family struggled, he arrived early to school, revised in the library, and often shared his food with others. Once, he even fixed a broken classroom fan with just a screwdriver and determination.


As he stepped onto the stage, gripping me tightly, his eyes welled up with emotion. But just a few weeks later, the teacher shared heartbreaking news: Adeep had to leave school. His mother was ill, and he needed to work to support the family. Everyone was stunned. I... remained silent.


Years passed. I was kept at the teacher’s desk, forgotten. One day, while tidying an old staffroom, a new teacher found me. Scribbled faintly in pencil on my back:


"I will return someday. My learning isn’t over." – A.D.


Today, I hung up on the school library’s inspiration wall, reminding every student that effort, sacrifice, and hope never went unnoticed.


I’m not just a piece of paper. I’m proof of one boy’s courage and promise.

By: Siti Isah Ithnin 🫰




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Kenapa Telinga Gajah Besar?

6. Kenapa Belakang Unta Berbonggol?

2. Kenapa Leher Zirafah Panjang