Short Story 35: The Sacrifice of a Pair of Lab Gloves

Short Story 35: The Sacrifice of a Pair of Lab Gloves

.

My name is a pair of lab gloves. Made from nitrile rubber, I’m designed to resist chemicals and protect human hands during experiments. Unlike ordinary gloves, I can withstand acids and dangerous liquids. I was first unboxed in the Science Lab of Tunas Ilmu Secondary School.


I’ve witnessed all sorts of experiments like volcano models, pH testing, even dissections. But the day I remember most was when Auni, a passionate Form Two student, carefully slipped me on. Her hands were small, but her spirit was mighty.


Auni loved science. She arrived early to clean equipment, label bottles, and record data in her lab notebook. She didn’t just do experiments, but she lived in them. And safety always came first. Every time she handled chemicals, she wore me without fail.


One day, during the final-year project, a small spill of sulfuric acid occurred. Panic spread. Without hesitation, Auni grabbed a cloth and moved the bottle, her hands were protected by me.


Though the acid slightly burned and tore through me, her hands were safe. But not long after, she started coughing heavily and collapsed. The teacher rushed to her side. It turned out Auni had a respiratory condition triggered by chemical fumes.


After that incident, she was advised to take a long break and was no longer allowed in the lab.


I remained on the lab shelf, worn and faded. One day, a teacher placed me in a glass frame with a note:

"These gloves once served to protect. Let them stand as a symbol of courage and a love for learning."


I may be just a pair of gloves, but once, I shielded the hands of a student whose heart belonged to science.

.

By: Siti Isah Ithnin 🫰




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Kenapa Telinga Gajah Besar?

6. Kenapa Belakang Unta Berbonggol?

2. Kenapa Leher Zirafah Panjang