Short Story 39: Chronicle of a Pair of Lab Goggles

Short Story 39: Chronicle of a Pair of Lab Goggles

.

I’m not just any eyewear—I’m a pair of safety goggles made for science labs. My frame is sturdy, my lenses are clear and strong. My mission? To shield curious young eyes from chemicals, glass shards, and flames.


My journey began with Firas, a sharp and inquisitive sixth-year student. We met during acid-base week, and from that moment, he wore me carefully in every experiment. I watched him jot notes, mix compounds, even whisper, “Without you, I might go blind.” That made me proud.


One afternoon, during a metal-burning experiment, disaster struck. A test tube overheated and burst with a loud crack. Glass flew. Firas froze—but I took the hit. My lens cracked, but Firas was safe. I felt heroic... and then forgotten.


After that day, I was left in the lab storeroom, wrapped in silence and dust. Others wore new goggles, shiny and untouched. Time passed—and I wondered if I would ever be seen again.


Then came a voice I knew by heart.


“That’s my goggles,” said Firas to the lab assistant. His fingers traced my cracked lens with care, his smile soft. “You saved me. Thank you.”


Even though he was now in secondary school, Firas chose me over the brand-new ones. “You’re not just protective gear,” he whispered. “You were there when science felt real, scary, and exciting.”

.

📝Sometimes the worn-out ones carry the most unforgettable stories.

.

By: Siti Isah Ithnin





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1. Kenapa Telinga Gajah Besar?

2. Kenapa Leher Zirafah Panjang

6. Kenapa Belakang Unta Berbonggol?